Detailed itinerary for 13 Days Overland tour to Mount Kailash Mansarovar Yatra.
Fixed Departure Mount Kailash Mansarovar Yatra Tour from Nepal side
Arrival Kathmandu: Take off for The Kailash Yatra: Arrive Kathmandu. Upon arrival, you will be met by our representative at the Tribhuvan International Airport who will assist you to transfer to your prebooked hotel. Overnight in the Hotel Shankar or Similar.
Temple visit in Kathmandu:After breakfast, proceed for a half day sightseeing tour of Pashupatinath Temple and Budhaneelkantha. Evening at leisure in Kathmandu. Overnight in the Hotel Shankar Or Similar.
Drive Kathmandu to Nyalam (3700 m):After breakfast, we will drive to the frontier town of Nepal at Kodari enjoying a scenic drive through Dhulikhel. From here, a short walk to the friendship bridge for to Kodari, the main entrance of Tibet, China at the height of 2,300 m. which is about 120 kms from Kathmandu. In Kodari, you will be received by guide from our Tibetan counterpart. After all the immigration formalities at the check post here, our journey continues for another 35 kms which can take almost 3 hours through the up-winding road to Nyalam with beautiful scenery as the drive brings us for the overnight stay at Nyalam (3,700 m.). The lodges and guest houses here are very simple and basic. You can expect the unexpected as the China Tourism in Tibet is slowly picking up since last 10 years. Overnight at Hotel Nyalam or similar.
In Nyalam for acclimatization: JThis whole day is dedicated for acclimatization at Nyalam. We will be going for a short trek of about three hours in Nyalam itself. Overnight at Hotel Nyalam or similar.
Drive Nyalam to Saga (4600 m) 240 Kms./ 4 - 5 hours drive:After breakfast, drive through the windswept territory passing many villages and camps of Yak herders with the distance view of snow capped mountains. We will be passing through the first highest pass of Lalung La Pass (5200 m) where a superb view of high Himalayas can be seen from Gaurishanker, Shishapangma to Langtang Himal. Drive past Khunmen Tso, Sinling, Karru Ongchen and Peigutso Lake (4400m). We continue driving crossing the river "Yarling Tsangpo" known as Brahmaputra, to reach Saga (4600 m) 240 Kms./ 4 -5 hours drive. Overnight at Hotel Saga or similar.
Drive Saga to Chui Gompa Lake Mansarovar (4560 m) 450 km/ 7 - 8 hours drive: breakfast, drive through Paryang (4750 m) 255 kms/ 3 - 4 hrs. Have lunch on the way. Drive through the windswept territory passing many villages and camps of Yak herders with distance view of snow capped mountains. On this day the road is quite flat, hence the drive will be comfortable compared to other days. There after drive to Hor Quo (4560 m) 223 km/ 5 - 6 hrs. We continue driving crossing Mayum La pass (5200 m) today is the day of lifetime, as we will have the first sight (Darshan) of Holy Mt. Kailash and Holy Lake Mansarovar. we drive for Holy Lake Mansarovar Parikarama & enroute view Rakshas Tal, relax and meditate at Lake Mansarovar. We arrive at Chui Gompa. O/Nt Guest Houses.
Lake Mansarovar (4560 m): morning, holy bath, Puja & Havan, O/Nt At Lake Mansarovar Guest Houses.
Morning Free for Prayer & later Drive to Darchen (4560 M): Darchen is located beneath the majestic holy Mount Kailash, a small village with couple of guesthouses. During the auspicious pilgrimage time, this place will be flooded with Pilgrims with hundreds of tents all around. Darchen, the beginning and end point of the Kora. The Group will stay O/night at Darchen Guest House & make final preparation for the Kailash Parikrama. O/night at Guest House.
Drive to Tarboche (13 km) and trek to Dirapuk (4860 m) 7 km/ 5 - 6 hrs. : After breakfast, drive approx. 13 Kms. to Tarboche, the trek starting point of Kailash Parikrama. Tarboche is also known as the outer "Asthapath". The first day of our Kora is a gradual walk with multitudes of other local pilgrims chanting and praying. The trail leads us to few ups and downs till we reach our camp/guest house at Dirapuk (4860 m) 7 km/ 5 - 6 hours trek. Camping on the nice grassy meadows with a view of Kailash, North West face. Those not feeling themselves fit to continue Parikarma will drive back to Darchen and wait for the Parikarma group to return. Overnight in Camp/Guest House.
Continue Parikrama over Dolma La Pass (5630 m) to Zuthul Phuk (4700 m) 19 kms./10-11 Hrs. (O/Nt New Fixed Camp): Today our circumbulation (Kora) leads to much higher side of the holy path just beneath the Holy Mount Kailash. The walk will bring us to one of the highest point at Dolma La, 5,630 m. before descending to the gradual field towards Zuthulphuk for the overnight stay after 5-6 hours walk. Zuthul Phuk (4700 m) 19 Kms. /10-11 Hrs. Overnight in Camp.
Zuthulphuk to Darchen trek 10 km/ 3 to 4 hrs. And drive to Saga (4600 m): The morning can be spent exploring the caves and visiting the temples and shrine that has been built around Milarepa's cave. A married elderly couple supervises the temple, which is usually an active residence for over half a dozen Tibetan devotees, helpers, or relatives who continuously busy themselves with the tasks of maintaining the buildings. One imagines Milarepa's disciples meditating here. Many of the caves contain meditations platforms, self-contained by dry stonewall which divide them from their cooking partitions and entrance areas. It is well worth the short climb up to these caves before beginning the final stage of the trek. The winding gradual tracks finally ends our holy pilgrimage walk 10 km/ 4 - 5 hrs. Once we reach at the trek end point near Darchen, our Luxury Bus will be waiting to take the group back to Saga by tracing our footsteps returning home leaving the Holy place. (Those who could not do Parikarma would be waiting to welcome other group members at this point). Overnight at Hotel Saga or similar.
Drive Saga to Kathmandu: Drive downhill to Kodari & Friendship Bridge where transportation awaits for our final leg of journey to Kathmandu (150 Kms)/ 8 - 9 Hrs. Overnight at Hotel Shankar or Similar.
Fly back to your home with memories of Sacred Kailash & Holy Lake Mansarovar
- Airport / Hotel / Airport transfers in Kathmandu.
- Three nights’ accommodation on twin sharing basis at 4* Hotel in Kathmandu (Shanker / Vaishali or equivalent) with daily breakfast, lunch and dinner (pure vegetarian).
- One half day sightseeing tour of Pashupatinath Temple and Budhaneelkantha in Kathmandu.
- Transportation Kathmandu / Tibet Border / Kathmandu by Non A/c Coach.
- Two night accommodation on sharing basis in Nyalam in basic hotel with common toilet facility.
- Two night accommodation in New Hotel Saga or equivalent on sharing basis in Saga with attached toilet facility.
- One night accommodation in basic guest house in Darchen without toilet / shower facility.
- Two night accommodation at Chui Gompa basic guest house at Mansarovar without toilet / shower facility.
- One night accommodation at Dirapuk guest house at Dirapuk without toilet / shower facility.
- One night accommodation at Zuthulphuk in tented camps, without toilet / shower facility.
- Camping arrangement backed by Nepalese Sherpa crew on full board basis – except inside Nepal, all the meals in Tibet side shall be cooked and provided by our Sherpa staff.
- Services of an English speaking Nepalese team leader from Kathmandu and an English speaking Tibetan guide from Kodari Border onwards.
- Transportation inside Tibet by Japanese Land Cruiser (4 pax per land cruiser). or Luxury Bus
- A support truck to carry food / camping equipments etc Necessary Yak & Yak men to carry your duffle bags (each yak per 06 pax) for Kailash Kora
- Normal Tibet Entry Visa fee.
- One duffel bag and down jacket per person on returnable basis.
- Insurance for our Sherpa team / team leader
- Travel & medical expenses during Kailash Yatra
- Rescue evacuation cost in case of emergency.
- Airfare to Kathmandu and back.
- Extra cost in the event of landslide for hiring additional transportation or porterage on The Arniko Highway (INR 500 - 700) per person.
- Expenses of personal nature viz. soft / hard beverages, photography charges, porterage at the airports / hotels, laundry, tips, telephone calls etc.
- Yak / Pony hiring charges for riding during Kailash Parikarma
- Mineral Water
- Anything not specifically mentioned in the clause, “The above cost includes”.
Booking Conditions for Sacred Kailash Mansarovar Yatra by Land cruisers via Nepal
- Booking shall be accepted with a non-refundable deposit of INR 20,000 Or NRI 500 USD per person. Balance payment should be paid at least 30 days before the trip departure. Payment should be made by bank transfer to our INR Currency Account should be made by INR draft favoring of Neelkanth Tours &Travels;,Ahmedabad
- Passport copy with minimum 6 months validity.
- Letter from a doctor certifying that the participant is fit to undertake this pilgrimage.
- Booking Must be made minimum 2 months prior to each departure date
- Booking Form duly filled up.
- Original Election Card Carry With You.
Cancellation Policy for Sacred Kailash Mansarovar Yatra by Land cruisers Or Luxury Bus
- Once a booking is made, the deposit fee is non-refundable.
- Token Advance Amount of Rs. 20,000 Or NRI 500USD Forfeited Irrespective No. Of Days of Intimation.
- 50% Cancellation from 15 days prior to departure.
- 75% Cancellation from 10 days prior to departure.
- 100% Cancellation from 7 days & below prior to departure.
- Please send your cancellation by Fax or Email. Verbal cancellation will not be entertained.
- All disputes regarding the conducting of the tour Subject of Jurisdiction at Ahmedabad (India).
THE TOUR COST FOR SACRED KAILASH MANSAROVAR YATRA BY LAND CRUISERS FOR 2014 IS AS BELOW:
1125 USD + Rs. 40000 PER PERSON (FOR INDIAN PASSPORT HOLDER) EX. KATHMANDU
2300 USD (FOR FOREIGN PASSPORT HOLDER) EX. KATHMANDU
COST OF THE YATRA-2014 -BY LUXURY BUS
NET COST PER PERSON: 950 USD + INR 40,000/- Ex: KATHMANDU
NET COST PER PERSON: 2000 USD/- (FOR FOREIGN PASSPORT HOLDER) EX KATHMANDU
Service Tax: - 3.09 %
1.NOTE: ABOVE COST IS BASE ON PRESENT VISA FEE, IPSC RATES IF THERE IS ANY CHANGES ON THIS FACTOR NEELKANTH TOURS & TRAVELS RESERVE RIGHT TO INCREASE THE PRICE ACCORDINGLY.
2.WITH EFFECT FROM MAY 2014 YATRIS OF LAND CRUISER AND LUXURY BUS HAVE TO LEAVE THEIR RESPECTIVE VEHICLES FROM HOR CHU AND SHIFT TO VEHICLES PROVIDED BY CHINESE AUTHORITIES FOR 05 DAYS FOR TRANSPORT IN LAKE MANSAROVAR AND DARCHEN.
As it gets very cold, please carry extra warm clothes:
- Warm jacket, fleece
- Waterproof and windproof jackets
- Thermal hats
- Thermal trousers
- Thermal gloves
- Thermal muffler/scarf
- Thermal sweaters
- Thermal inners (tops and leggings)
- Night wear
- Thermal socks (variety including thick woolen and thermal)
- Closed shoes – we recommend good grip trainers suitable for mountain wear
- Waterproof boots if you wish
- Sun block essential. At high altitude everyone will be susceptible to sun burn
- Lip balm
- All person toiletries
- Skin moisturizers
- Toilet paper
You will be provided with meals throughout the Yatra but we recommend that you bring with you a choice of your own snacks.
Items could include: instant soups, chocolate, dried fruits/nuts, energy bars, lucozade tablets etc.
- Diamox (250 mg) 10 tablets per person
- Cough Syrup 1 bottle per person & Throat Lozengers
- Paracetamol 20 tabs per person
- Travel Sickness Tablets 20 tabs per person
- Savlon/ Plasters
- Passport with 6 months minimum validity and 3 clear passport pages front page and last page of the passport.
- 06 passport size photos – you will need these for visas etc.
- Water bottle (to fill water from large jugs)
- Powerful torch with batteries
- Sun hat/cap
- In Nepal INR 500 and 1000 Rupee notes are not valid please carry smaller denomination notes.
- Money belt to carry money – please make sure you have the ability to keep your own valuables secure.
- Emergency telephone numbers
- Travel agent’s number and address
- Personal medication
- Plastic bags for keeping items dry
- Dust/face mask (to protect from dust when travelling)
- Adapter (Chinese socket)
- We would discourage you from carrying valuables such as laptops
DURING THE JOURNEY
- Walk slowly and speak less when going up
- Make sure you eat properly at mealtimes; and drink lots of hot water (your body will need roughly double the amount of water than normal). Dehydration can cause mountain sickness, headaches, dizziness etc. Drink water before you feel thirsty. Always carry a water bottle.
- During your car journeys, carry a torch with you and take a jumper in your hand. Weather conditions may change throughout the day.
- You have been put in a group of four people who will all travel together to Kailash.
- Please always remember which jeep you are in, which team you are in & who your team leader is.
- If you have any problems or feel ill/ sick etc, please report this to your team leader immediately.
THINGS YOU SHOULD MAKE NOTE OF:
- When you speak to anyone about Kailash/Tibet, always refer to it as being in china.
- It is very important that you are respectful to your drivers, to all the Sherpas and to everyone you meet on your journey.
- Please do not discuss any rumors about the political situation of the country or region.
- Please do not discuss the Dalai Lama. This topic of conversation is not welcomed in China.
Traveling Kathmandu onwards, the accommodation will be extremely basic. Expect small, cold, but relatively clean rooms. Most guest houses have poor plumbing and hot water may not be available.
All rooms on the journey and in Kailash will be single sex rooms. Therefore, we will provide separate male and female rooms. This means you will not always be able to share a room with your marital partner if you are travelling together.
En-route most toilets are outside or nonexistent and as all yatris do, you will need to find quiet spots when you stop.
IMPORTANT RULES OF CONDUCT IN TIBET PHOTOGRAPHY
Be extremely careful not to take photographs of airports and military bases. Pictures of bridges, civil unrest, or public demonstrations are also not allowed. Most monasteries and museums also restrict photography inside the buildings.
WEATHER AND ACCLIMATISATION ASCEND SLOWLY
Our Yatra will take extra days to travel and rest so that our body can adjust to the oxygen levels. This process is called Altitude acclimatization.
DRINK EXTRA FLUIDS
Bring a water bottle and energy-drink packets to prevent dehydration. You should drink even if you do not feel thirsty.
EAT LIGHT, HIGH-CARBOHYDRATE MEALS
Carry extra snacks, such as protein bars, to keep up your energy.
Do not take medications that cause drowsiness.
WEATHER AND CLIMATE :
In August-September, expect wet weather. Days are unpredictable and nights are cold and frosty. Temperatures can be as high +10/+15 degrees Celsius with night temperatures reaching as low as -10/-15.